Cambridge Jets News
Cambridge Jets at the Massachusetts High School Divisional Meets, May 27, 2013
Over Memorial Day weekend, our high school age Jets competed in the Mass High School Divisional Meets. The top 4 in each divisional meet in each event automatically advance to the All State Meet on June 1, 2013. Top 8 performances by the Jets as follows:
Eastern Mass Division 1
Jordan 1st Place Triple Jump (47’7”), 2nd 110m Hurdles, 8th 4X100 relay; Sidney 2nd 100, 3rd 4X100; Spikey 2nd 200, 8th 4X100; Maya H. 3rd 800, 7th 4X400.
Central/Western Mass Division 2
Serena 4th 100, 2nd 4X100
- 7th Bloomfield Youth Invitational, May 18, 2013
Kylee won Primary 400m with a meet record and new Cambridge Jets record of 1:13.73
The Jets had 29 athletes participate in the 7th Annual Bloomfield Invitational in Bloomfield, CT on Saturday, May 18. They did a remarkable job, earning 10 gold, 10 silver and 6 bronze medals. Two Jets set meet records en route to a 2nd place girls and 8th boys team finish out of 16 scoring teams of each gender. In all, 23 different Jets scored (top 6) in at least one event.
Event winners: Kylee (Primary 200, 400 with a meet record and new Cambridge Jets record of 1:13.73 in the 400), Laila (Primary Long Jump), Vivian (Bantam 400), Peyton (Bantam 100, 200), Maya W. (Midget 80 Hurdles), Alexis (Midget High Jump, 200), and Olivia (Youth High Jump with a meet record jump of 4’11”). Silver medals: Laila (Primary 100, 200), Jasmine (Bantam Long Jump), Vivian (Bantam 800), Maya (Midget High Jump), Stephen (Midget Long Jump, 400), Quinn (Youth 400), Sam F. (Intermediate 200), Callum (Intermediate 400). Bronze: Lauren (Bantam Long Jump), Stephen (Midget 200), Quinn (Youth 800), Amy (Bantam 400, 800), and Olivia (Youth 400). Other point scorers were Gigi, Gwendolyn, Kayla, Kaori, Sergei, Trey, Nadia and Symone. Overall we more than doubled our point totals of last year. Nice job to all!
- Bloomfield Youth Developmental Meet #3, May 4, 2013
The Cambridge Jets opened the season in fine form at the Bloomfield (Connecticut) Youth Developmental Meet #3 on Saturday, May 4. Our athletes put forth some good effort and got a chance to see how far they have progressed, competing for the first time since our Northeast Conference Indoor Championships in March. The Jets won 13 events and set 4 meet records. Event winners were: Nina (Primary Javelin meet record and Long Lump), Jacob (Primary Long Jump), Jasmine (Bantam Long Jump), Peyton (Bantam 100), Vivian (Bantam 400, 1600), Maya W. (Midget High Jump, 80m Hurdles), Alexis (Midget 100 meet record, 400, Long Jump meet record) and Callum (Intermediate 400 meet record). [Results]
Cambridge Jets Win Youth Relay in
New Balance Grand Prix Meet - Feb 2013
Cambridge Jets continue to dominate the Youth Relay race at the New Balance Grand Prix meet winning the last 6 of 7 years. Every February, the New Balance meet is held at the Reggie Lewis track, where world class and Olympic runners come to compete. The meet holds a youth relay where local track teams send their best young sprinters (must be younger than High School age). The race has 2 boys and 2 girls running in a 4x200m. This year Olivia, Sam, Mianci and Davonte ran for the Jets, beating 5 other local teams.
The race was especially exciting because Mianci (10 years old) was asked to participate in the race only an hour before race time. Even though Mianci is fast for her age, all the other participants were 3-4 years older, quite a disadvantage, but she held her own. The Jets ran hard, had good hand offs and persevered. Watch the exciting race here:
Kaori and Peyton are selected Athletes of the Meet at
Needham Youth Classic,
Peyton won the 50m 100m, 200m, and 300m.
Kaori won the shut put, 200m, 300m, 400m.
Overall, Jets had a strong showing, winning lots of bling.
JORDAN USATF ATHLETE OF THE MONTH FOR JULY
Jordan Samuels is the USA Track & Field (USATF) - New England Athlete of the Month for July 2012. At the USATF Junior Olympic National Championships in Baltimore, Maryland, the last week of July, Samuels was a double medalist in the Boys' Intermediate (15-16) age division, earning 4th place in the triple jump with a mark of 44'11.75" and 5th place in the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.87. He also won three events at the Region I Junior Olympic meet on July 8 to qualify for Nationals, and was a 2 event winner in the scholastic division at the Bay State Games on July 14. [more]
Quinn Sets Two Meet Records at Bloomfield Invitational: May 18, 2012
Quinn won both the midget boys 400m and 800m setting meet records in both.
He won the 800m by less than a second, an exciting finish. Peyton also
won both of her events: 100m and 200m. Overall the Jets had strong showing at Bloomfield.
Jordan and Olivia place at USATF Indoor Nationals: March 10-11, Normal, IL
Olivia Thorsgaard, Midget, ran to silver in the hurdles - 9.86 - and placed fourth in both the high jump and long jump.
Jordan Samuels, Intermediate, won both the Triple Jump (42'8") and 55m Hurdles (8.00, New National record), and also took 2nd in 55m (6.77).
Congratulations to Jordan winning 3 events with 3 meet records at the Needham Indoor Youth Classic
Jordan won 55m Hurdles in 8.10, 200m in 23.31 and 400m in 53.20. All three victories were Intermediate Boy meet records. He also came in second in the 55m.
Jordan is having a geat season. He qualified for nationals in 55m hurdles, 55m, 400m and triple jump, and will compete in the USATF National Championships on March 10-11 in Normal, IL.
Good Luck Jordan!
Other Jet victories at Needham Indoor Classic were: Davonte in 55m and 200m, Spikey in 200m, 400m, Peyton in 200m (33.10, tied meet record), Juila in 55m Hurdles, 4x200 Meter Relay Bantam Boys, 4x200 Meter Relay Youth Boys, and 4x200 Meter Relay Intermediate Girls (Emma, Sereena, Camille, and Spikey) ran 1:50.22 setting a meet record. [Full Meet Results](2/12/2012)
8/1-6/2011 AAU Outdoor National Jr. Olympic Championships: Alexis is National Champion in the Girls Bantam High Jump:
She was also 4th in the Triathalon and Davonte was 5th in the Sub-Midget 100m
7/2011 Needham Youth Classic : Alexis and Maya W. are selected Athletes of the Meet:
Maya was first in: 50m, 50mh, 200m, 300m , 400m, LJ and second in 100m STLJ. Alexis was first in: 50m, LJ, HJ, TJ, SP, second in 100m and fouth in SLJ. [results]
- 2/13/2011 Needham Indoor Youth Classic: Davonte selected Athlete of the Meet: Davonte
earned this honor by: winning all of his running events: 55m (7.67), 200m (meet record 27.8), 400m (meet and Jets record 1:04.5) and 4x200 relay (meet record 2:07). He also came in 4th place in the shot put.
- 2/13/2011 Needham Indoor Youth Classic: The youth girls relay (Spikey, Maya, Camille and Sydney) continue to run strong winning the the 4x200 relay running 1:47, a meet and long held Jets team record. [To view a video of the race]
- 2/5/2011 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix: Cambridge Jets win Club Youth 4x200m relay for a 4th straight year! Relay members: Sydney F, Dylan C, Maya H-A, Davonte B in a time of 1:48.42. [Photo], [Results]
- 1/28/2011 BU Terrier Invitational: 4x400m relay team (Spikey, Sydney, Maya and Camille)
shatter their previous Cambridge Jets record by 9
running a 4:01.86.
. [To view a video of the race]
- 1/23/2011 Greater Boston Track Club Meet: Sydney won 60m in 7.80 seconds. Sydney also came in 4th in the Invitational section of the 200m. Inspired by the college age competition, Maya ran in the Invitational section of the 800m, finishing 3rd with a personal best time of 2:16. Spikey came in 2nd in the Open 400m and Camillle came in 6th. Strong performances were also turned in by Thaisha, Yemisi, Bryon and Nick.
- 12/11/2010 Harvard Inv: Jets youth girls gets better 4 x 400m relay placing third with a time of 4:10.
- 12/04/2010 - Here is an interesting discussion on TrackNation with about our Youth Girls' 4x400 relay LINK TO THREAD
- 10/24/2010 - Maya wins Mayor's Cup Cross Country Race, finishing the 1.1 mile race in 6:25. Its the first time that a Cambridge Jet has won this race since 1997 (The year Maya was born!)
- 8/2010 - AAU National Junior Olympics, VA. - Jets had a strong showing at Nationals this year. Medal winners: Davonte - 2nd place in both Bantam 100m (13.40) and 200m (27.08) ; Jordan - 3rd place in Youth Triple Jump; and Maya - 4th in Youth 1500m (5:01). Other national participants: Trey, Bryon, Spikey, Camille and Yemisi.
- 2/21/10 - AAU Northern Indoor National Championships, IL - Jordan: 1st in Youth Triple Jump, 2nd in Youth 55m Hurdles, 2nd in Youth Long Jump. Trey - 3rd Sub Bantam 400m, 5th in Sub Bantam 55m, 7th in Sub Bantam 200m .
- 2/06/2010 - Reebok Boston Indoor Games - Cambridge Jets win 4x200 Club Youth Relay in 1:42.93 setting new event record. Relay team members: Sydney F, Jordan S, Thiaisha A, and Bryon V. [Results]
- 2/21/ 2009 - Jordan wins AAU National title in the Triple Jump and set National record
In a photo finish Jordan comes in second in the 400m [Results]
- 1/3/2009: Jordan sets new team record for midget boys 200m (25.77) and 400m (57.90)